The visual argument I found was a stop smoking cigarette ad that features six images of a cigarette that burning down consecutively throughout the images. The first image of the cigarette is not yet lit and has stick figure people on it. The pictures on the cigarette from right to left are: a person not smoking, a person smoking, a person sitting in a chair coughing, a person laying in a bed and the last being a coffin. The next image is of that same cigarette lit with the non smoker in ashes and the rest of the images still on the cigarette. The cigarette continues to burn, lastly leaving the coffin. The overall achievement of this ad is to get people to stop smoking. I bet if the images of the person with practically good health burning down to coffin were on every cigarette, people would quit smoking sooner. I know when I was a smoker, I would always look down at my cigarette too see how much I had left to smoke and if I kept seeing a coffin at the butt of my cigarette I probably would have quit sooner. I realized that smoking wasn’t healthy and was a terrible habit to have. I think that people are going to quit on their own, but the motivation of these ads is a constant reminder that quitting is necessary to live. You only quit when you are ready or when you die.
The overall theme of this ad is a constant reminder to quit or it will be the death of you. It is an argument that smokers face daily with themselves. Most smokers know that smoking cigarettes is harmful to their bodies but continue to do it anyways. Most smokers would say that they are addictive and that smoking with most likely will be the death of them. This ad tries to demonstrate what will happen to you over the course of smoking cigarettes. I still believe that these ads are just reminders to quit and that smokers have to make the decision on their own on whether or not to quit smoking. It is very easy to sit here and type that quitting is necessary to live, but when you are a smoker it is so hard to quit. I have been there and done it and failed a couple of times too. I think ultimately, I would still be a smoker if I were not pregnant. I first quit last March, smoked two packs in May and June, and then completely stopped in July when I found out I was pregnant. It is a difficult process to quit and some people never do or can until they die. This ad has a great argument to quit or die, and that is just the basic facts, if you don’t quit smoking you will end up in a coffin, bottom line.
Friday, November 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment