Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Oink Oink




My fiancé and I had our annual pig pickin’ together this past weekend. We had a great turn out and our 100 pound pig we killed was completely devoured. I had some of my family from Winston-Salem come and some people from UNCW came. I did think it was funny that my little sisters again did not eat the pig. We kill our own hogs and the last pig we killed was for my fiancé’s mother’s 50th birthday celebration, and my little sisters refused to eat the pig then and refused to eat it again this go around. Their rationale was that they petted and fed those pigs and they were pets and shouldn’t have been eaten. Well, let me tell you what, those pigs were delicious. We feed them mostly produce and protein pellets. My fiancé’s mother, sister, and brother work at Food Lion and we get a great deal from them by getting the old produce the store throws out. Food Lion usually tosses the old produce, but instead my fiancé’s family sorts through it removing plastic rappers and such and brings it to us to feed the pigs. It’s a sweet deal, well it is actually pretty stinky but you know. I guess his family knows that they are going to participate it eating the pig, so they don’t mind doing it.
We currently have three pigs. We have two females and a male. Our plan is for them to get busy and makes some babies. My fiancé knows a Portuguese guy who would buy a whole litter of suckling pigs. He says that the sucklings are the most tender and delicious. He has a custom built brick oven that just fits these suckling pigs and cooks them for holidays and special occasions. I guess suckling pigs are like a delicacy. Whenever these pigs decide to get busy and make some babies, it will put money in our pockets. Plus I bet the piglets will be so cute. I might keep one for myself to domesticate and make another pet out of it.
I think it’s funny that I went from a beach bum to a farm girl with horses, pigs, chickens, and dogs. I really enjoy it, even though it takes 30 minutes to feed all the animals in the morning and at night, it is worth it when I go riding and work with my horse and when we kill and eat the pigs. We are probably going to kill another pig soon for freezer meat. And when I say kill, I don’t mean that we actually kill it ourselves, we take it to Well’s pork products and they have an extensive method for cleaning and killing and freezing the pig for just $25 bucks. It is a lot of work to kill the pig yourself and can get unsanitary especially during summer months. I also like the fact that we know how our pigs are raised and fed. It adds to the enjoyment we eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment