Thursday, October 29, 2009

Words I use...

The words I use depend on my situation, time and place. I use different words around my friends than I would around my parents. The words I like to use the most are not fancy; not what you call SAT vocabulary words. But more like simple sentences with the usual verb “to be” in all of it tenses. I do like to cuss, which I am trying to stop since I have a little one in my tummy. But I would say fuck is one of my favorite words to use. I can add fuck to any fucking sentence and be just as please as if it weren’t there. I find myself cursing to my friends and my fiancĂ© and my mom, but I would never cuss in front of my father or my greater relatives. I find it disrespectful. I like the word fuck though; my friend one year for my birthday got me a refrigerator magnet that says “Everything is funnier with the word FUCK in it,” which at the time was true, but like I said, I am trying to clean up my potty mouth.
I started cussing at the tender age of 8 and learned it in the back of the public school bus. Back then, I guess it was cool to cuss and we would all get a hoot out of all the curse words we could say and all the comments back to one another with creative uses of the words. I guess it made us feel older or more mature since we were taught by our parents not to cuss. I realize now, that I’m not proud of my decisions to cuss at such a young age, because it is a bad habit to kick. The curse words just slip out of my mouth so easily and are a part of my everyday language. If I was able to stop smoking cigarettes, which is said to be more addicting than heroine, than I can quit cursing. I will just have to somehow catch myself doing it and vindicate the word with a more intelligent word or non-curse word. I do find cursing almost ignorant, because it is like when you hear people curse nonstop they cannot think of better words to use, like they have a limited vocabulary. I feel that way about myself though. I know I have a proficient vocabulary, but I do not practice with those spiffy words, instead I settle for those bad habit curse words I learned in elementary school to portray my feelings and thoughts.
Maybe I should put on my Christmas list for someone to get me a “Word-of-the-day” calendar so I can start to replace my negative language with some new vocabulary. I also need to think before I speak, even with friends and family. At school, I try to think of what I am going to say when participating in class or talking to my professors. But outside of school, I just let the words fly out, no matter if they are curse words or not. I just need to practice on being a better orator in general. I am about to graduate and would hate slip out curse word during an interview or presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment